Japan gave me my cycling life

In 1989 I moved to Japan with my family to start work at the Kansai Advanced Research Centre, in Nishi Akashi. This was south of Kobe, a new research centre. We had an apartment about four or five kilometres from the lab.

To get to work I could  get two buses, which took quite a while. But I decided to ride a bike. I hadn’t ridden a bike for a long time. But I just thought I would try it. Several times at the start I got lost. People always insisted on coming with me to show me where to go. Such kindness.



It was in early Autumn. I can still remember struggling up the steep hill on the red bicycle. It was just a standard household bike - no gears. It took a long time for me to be able to make it up the hill without getting off and walking. But I was determined.

I kept riding all through the winter. Even when it snowed. Coming down the hill at night, the sun setting early it would be really cold. A couple of times I couldn’t feel my fingers. Then I couldn’t feel my arms. It was really really cold.

At that time we were the only non-Japanese family in the area. It was quite funny when the locals sighted a foreigner on a bicycle. I don’t think they knew what to make of it. It was a shock to them, I could tell.

It was such a safe environment to ride a bicycle. None of the road rage that you found even then in Australia. I was so fortunate to have that time to get used to riding a bicycle in traffic. I remember one morning I had a confusion with a car, where I fell over. The driver immediately stopped and helped me. It was so wonderful.

So here I am watching Fukushima, and I think of all of the wonderful experiences that Japan gave me and my family. I’ve long forgotten how to pray, but I just might try to remember and start again.

Comments

Unknown said…
Andy,
I am so glad Japan has been kind to you for you and your cycling life. It has been for me as well, as I've just started my tour a week ago. I am re-discovering the wonderful people and culture that I'd taken for granted. I wish and pray for the better for all things happening right now in the northern Japan.

Popular posts from this blog

Cycling inland Australia in the winter

The world of "Perilous Republic"

Jack and the Employer